Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 16, 2016

JUST LIKE CAMPBELL'S TOMATO SOUP (pg. 112)

"NO ZOUP FOR YOU!"
If you are a fan of the comedy sitcom, "Seinfeld" you will quickly recognize that quote from the show.  One of my absolute favorite episodes is with the notorious "Soup Nazi."

Me and my hubby were fortunate enough to visit New York City, without kids for one of our anniversaries.  I don't know if it was because we didn't have the kids, or if it was because of the New York atmosphere, or a little bit of both, but we had a blast!  I don't think we've been able to top that year's celebration to date.

My hubby in the "Soup Nazi's" line.
Yes, we did all the "touristy" things.  We went to see the Statue of Liberty, the Charging Bull on Wall Street, 30 Rock building, and Times Square. We experienced the subways, Macy's, Rockefeller Center, and so on and so forth.  However, one of my favorite parts of the visit was getting a on-hands experience of the "Soup Nazi" soup.  If I remember correctly, the serving bowls, or cups, said something on the order of, "The soup that made Seinfeld famous."  Too, funny!

 I must say, after our visit, I truly do love New York!


This week will be all about SOUP and I have enlisted one of my friendly neighbors to help in the reviews by sharing her thoughts.

The first soup this week is called, "Just like Campbell's Tomato Soup."  As the name suggests, it's suppose to taste like the long-standing and popular "Campbell's Tomato Soup."  Probably one of America's favorite comfort foods, Tomato Soup and Grilled Cheese Sandwich.

Just Like Campbell's Tomato Soup & The Shrinker


I didn't want to come out and tell my friend it's suppose to taste like Campbell's Soup, but with a little prodding I asked, "Does it remind you of any other soup?"  Her response was, "I have really only had canned tomato soup before, so it definitely didn't taste like that. It was really good."  She also said her daughter enjoyed it with some Parmesan sprinkled on top.  I added chicken to mine.

When I did tell her it was suppose to taste like Campbell's Soup she said it tasted similar, but there was a spice or something that made it a little different.  I did alter the ingredients very slightly since the THMs always encourage "owning it" by adding seasoning to your own personal taste.  So, I suggested perhaps if I left it alone it would have tasted the same.  My friend said it was much better than Campbell's since that version is usually a little bland.  So, perhaps, this would be better named, "Very much like Campbell's Soup, but even better."

BROTHS
This soup was made with homemade broth that I prepared in advance when I cooked up the "Super Prepared Roasted Chicken" recipe (see my post from January 2016) which is quite possibly why it tasted so good!  I will be talking a little bit more about broth in the next couple posts so you will want to be sure to check those out.

CONCLUSION:
It takes all of two minutes to gather your ingredients.  All of one minute to measure and dump ingredients into pan. And, then about 5-10 minutes to warm.  The three extra minutes it takes compared to preparing Campbell's Soup is time well spent with healthier benefits of being fresher and having less salt.  I will definitely be making this soup again (and with homemade broth whenever possible).

Stay healthy and strong!
Chris :)







No comments:

Post a Comment