Search This Blog

Monday, January 11, 2016

MAMA'S FAMOUS MEATLOAF & MASHED FOTATOES

MAMA'S MEATLOAF (pg. 157) & MASHED FOTATOES (pg. 219)
So, this is my first meal attempt from "Trim healthy Mama Cookbook, EAT UP and SLIM DOWN." I am preparing for a family of picky eaters so this should be very interesting.  It has to be good in order to help warm my family up to future Trim Healthy Mama (THM) meals.

Meatloaf:
I made the meatloaf with the Trim Healthy Ketchup. It doesn't take long to make the ketchup and you avoid some of the sugar in the store-bought ketchup.  I used my own version of the Baking Blend (1/2 cup flaxseed, 1/2 cup coconut flour, 1/4 cup almond flour). This turned out good and my family enjoyed this as a meal.  My version of the ketchup looked and appeared different than the photograph in the book so I feel I may have overlooked something even thought I took care to follow the recipe carefully.


Mashed Fotatoes:
I wasn't too concerned about the meatloaf part. It's the "fotatoes" part I was worried about.  Essentially, it is "mashed cauliflower" filling in for "mashed potatoes."  When I approached this recipe I found myself wanting to debate reasons for not calling it what it really is.  Why the deception? Calling it "mashed fotatoes" instead of  "mashed cauliflower?"  It didn't take me very long to realize it's a losing debate. "Mashed Cauliflower" just doesn't have the same appeal as "Mashed Fotatoes." So Mashed Fotatoes it is.

While my family went into this meal knowing that they weren't eating actual mashed potatoes, they did comment it was o.k. as they worked to discern what they were eating.  My hubby correctly guessed cauliflower.

Conclusions:
I will be making "Mama's Famous Meatloaf" again, but the next time I make Mama's Meatloaf I will be serving it with a slightly improvised version of mashed cauliflower, er, uh, I mean fotatoes (I will try to thicken and add more flavor to it) or try making the THM Sweet Potato Fries.

Stay healthy & strong!
Chris :)





3 comments:

  1. My foray into mashed cauliflower was unsuccessful. If you perfect the cauliflower recipe, please share. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So good to know I'm not alone. :) Will keep you posted if I'm able to bring mashed cauliflower to perfection. :)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete