Search This Blog

Monday, March 21, 2016

SLOW FAJITAS (pg. 53)

Hi Everyone!

It has been ten days since I have posted about my Trim Healthy Mama endeavors (I try to post at least 2-3 times a week).  Much has happened since my last blog.  Life in general.  But, don't think for one moment that means I have abandoned those Trim Mamas!

I am happy to announce I have a Trim Mama pal within my neighborhood since my last post!  It has been so fun to share plates of flavor with her and watch with delight as she samples recipe after recipe.  As it turns out, the tables have turned and she comes to my house with goodies to try!  Must say, I certainly enjoy being on the receiving end of THM goodies!

I took a glance at my very first post with my list of recipes that I wanted to try and my grocery list to accompany it, and I quickly realized that I only have a few more recipes to try.  When complete, I must decide, do I continue this journey?  Or, embark onto a new one?  I will share my overall thoughts after I complete the remaining recipes I originally committed to completing when I started this journey.

For today, I would like to get back on track by sharing with you a review of the Slow Fajitas.  It is recommended to serve this over lettuce and to add cheese and tomatoes.  However, since I am always trying to increase my iron intake due to being susceptible to anemia, I served it over refried beans (LaPreferada Authentic has 20% iron per 1/2 cup serving).  Slow cooking the meat results in a tender meat, and the red and yellow peppers have a nice subtle flavor when combined with cumin, onions, chili powder, and garlic.  How could your taste buds not say, "Yes?" 
Slow Fajitas
The THMs do warn that this dish makes a lot of excess liquid and recommend using a slotted spoon as you serve as to avoid too much liquid on your plate.  The best part about that liquid, in my opinion, is it is perfect accompaniment to use over the Fotatoes (post 1/11/16) or any other dish that tastes especially good with gravy.

CONCLUSION:
Fajita night!  Whatever you do, don't let that extra liquid go to waste! Enjoy it somewhere else through the week to add extra flavor to another dish!

Stay healthy and strong!
Chris :)



2 comments:

  1. I like the idea of putting the mixture over beans. Healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was very good! I think you would like! So, if you see something from the book (whether you own it or borrow it from library) let me know what you like and I'll personally come to your house to make it. :)

    ReplyDelete